Information package of exchange students’ housing
We have furnished apartments for exchange students. Those are located in Vaaterakuja 5 (Peltolammi area) and Ritakatu 13 E-J (Ruotula). You can find photos of the apartments on our website, showing the layout of each apartment. All of these apartments are shared and particularly suited for people who will stay in Finland for 6 months or less. If you need housing in Finland for a longer period, you can submit an application for POAS but you are not applicable for the furnished apartments.
Applying for housing
When applying for an apartment, please indicate the following in your application:
– The apartment type should be chosen as ”Cell” when filling in the application. This ensures that we will consider your application when making the tenant selection for the furnished apartments.
– Name of the educational establishment in Finland where your exchange will take place, and the duration of the exchange.
– If you have received a letter of acceptance from an educational establishment, please attach it to your application.
– If you are applying with a friend (or friends), all applicants must submit their own applications. You can specify with whom you are applying in the section “Further information”.
Furnished apartments always come with a fixed-term lease. Due to the temporary nature of the lease, the rental agreement cannot be terminated without reason specified in the Finnish legislation (the Act on Renting an Apartment). The fixed-term lease period will last at least 3 months.
Our office is open weekdays from 9am to 3pm. If you or the person acting on your behalf (e.g. a tutor) cannot pick up the keys during office hours, please notify our office in advance (email: firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone: +358 (0)40 668 6008). NB! If a tutor collects the keys, they must present a written authorization form showing that they are acting on your behalf.
A security deposit is required if/when you have received and accepted the housing offer. A receipt for the security deposit payment must be submitted to the landlord upon delivery of the keys at the latest.
No interest is paid on the security. The deposit is returned to the customer’s bank account within three weeks after their keys have been returned or after the apartment has been vacated, unless some (or all) of the security has been withheld. Upon termination of the contract, the apartment will be inspected. For this reason, it is important that you notify us of your account number upon termination of the lease. (Fixed-term contracts have no notice period, so the account number must be given separately).
Other useful links
- Public transport https://joukkoliikenne.tampere.fi/en/.
- Tamko and Club International Tampere (CLINT) rent Survival Kits to exchange students, which cater for the basic requirements of students during the exchange. See https://www.tamko.fi/en/survival-kit.
- This very article translated into Finnish can be found at https://poas.fi/tietopaketti-vaihto-opiskelijoille/.